Subscribe to The Jewish Standard free weekly newsletter

font size: +

Yad Vashem honors Passaic woman for saving ‘an entire world’

Luba and Mina: The backstory

|| Tell-a-Friend || Print
Above, Luba Saj-Cholhan, center, visits Mina Shulster Berkowitz, her daughter Ann, and Ann’s four children, in Israel in 1994.

In the dining room of her comfortable Passaic home, Luba Saj-Cholhan shuffles family photographs that chronicle 60 years of history. But the family members in the pictures are named neither Saj nor Cholhan — not even Hirniak, Luba’s maiden name. They are photos of herself with her childhood friend, Mina Shulster Berkowitz, and Mina’s daughters and grandchildren — the family that would not have existed but for Luba’s selfless actions as a young single mother in Ternopol, Ukraine, during the Holocaust.

From the age of 4, Luba Hirniak and Mina Shulster were — literally and figuratively — as close as sisters. Their families occupied two separate apartments on the second floor of a four-family house in Ternopol. But the girls — only six months apart in age — slept in adjacent bedrooms, and “the doors between our apartments were never closed,” Saj-Cholhan remembers, adding wistfully, “I never had any better friend or cousin than Mina.”

Mina’s father owned a successful textile store. She had four sisters (a brother immigrated to the United States when Mina and Luba were 8) and “their father was an angel,” Saj-Cholhan says. “Many times I was in their home for Shabbos. I remember when we were 4, I came uninvited to Shabbos and there was no room at the table for me. Her father sat me on his lap. He got another fork and we ate together from one dish.”

In fact, in Luba’s memory, the girls were “always together. When Mina ate at my house, her mother would remind me, ‘Don’t give her any ham or kielbasa!’

“‘Don’t worry,’ my mother told her. ‘She will have pirogies and borscht!’ ”

When Mina would kiss the mezuzah on the door, “I would, too — just for good luck!” Luba adds. And Mina often accompanied Luba to the Ukranian girls’ club. By the age of 18, Mina had become “a very talented dressmaker,” Saj-Cholhan recalls, “so her father sent her to Lviv [Lvov, Poland] where she was placed to learn, then to come back and have her own business. She made beautiful dresses.”

Meanwhile, after the young Luba finished her schooling, she married Dr. Thaddeus Saj, the father of her only son, George. When the Russians — who had come to the Ukraine in 1939 — left in 1941, they took with them “all the educated people because they didn’t want to leave them behind for the Germans.” Among them was Dr. Thaddeus Saj, although he was “not political,” “and I never saw him again,” she says. At a little more than 22, with a 1-year-old son, she found herself a “widow.” Luba had moved from the house the Hirniaks shared with the Shulsters, and her own parents had fled to Krakow. Because of her pregnancy, Luba had been unable to join them.

That same year, the Germans enclosed the Jews of Ternopol in a makeshift ghetto. Among them were Mina Shulster — who had returned from Lviv — her widowed mother, two sisters, and a nephew. One brother left for America; a younger son went to Israel. One sister married a South American and went to Brazil.

“The Germans put everyone to work; they were horrible to everyone, not just to the Jews,” Saj-Cholhan recalls. Because Mina found work cooking and cleaning for Germans outside of the ghetto, she could stop by Luba’s house on her way back to the ghetto. “The Jewish people couldn’t even buy food in the black market. They weren’t allowed in the stores,” says Saj-Cholhan. “I was helping her with food and clothes; she was coming to me very often after work. Once I asked Mrs. Shulster if she would allow me to save Mina’s life. She said, ‘Do it, my child.’”

One day in June of 1943, a school acquaintance came to Mina where she was working and warned her that that night was going to be very bad. She slept at Luba’s.

“The next morning when we got up it was very quiet, peaceful. I went to the store where I worked,” Saj-Cholhan relates, “but I told the young girl who was taking care of my baby not to let Mina go out. But when I got home, the girl told me she had gone out and was taken away.”

Fortunately, one of Mina’s employers convinced a very reluctant building superintendent to hide her in the attic and to give her food. But Luba believed her friend was gone. What a relief when, “four days later, she came to my house,” says Saj-Cholhan. “She was sitting at the table and, I remember so clearly, she said: ‘Now I have nobody but you.’” For the next two to three weeks, the women stayed together, even sleeping in Luba’s bed. “I did not let her go out,” Saj-Cholhan remembers. “The Germans were taking [the Jews] from each village and putting them on trains to do forced labor in the east — train after train from town after town.”

While the women plotted a way for Mina to escape, a misfortune provided them with a lucky — if illegal — break. Luba’s mother-in-law, Helena Saj, died, and that gave Luba an opportunity to use the documents for her friend. After substituting Mina’s picture and changing the date of birth on the identity card, she went to City Hall. The Nazis were allowing Ukrainian women from Ternopol to work in Austria.

“I put Mina in a peasant dress from my housekeeper, put a babushka over her head, and in a handkerchief, I wrapped bread and apples and a big piece of bacon! We went to the train and I told the conductor that she had run away from another car and they should put her in their car and watch her.” Hiding her friend and forging her papers would be considered capital offenses by the Nazis. But the plan worked. Mina arrived in Linz (near Vienna) where she was able to find work as a streetcar conductor.

A few months later, Luba received a desperate letter. Mina had become frightened that someone had recognized her, and said she was ready to give herself up. “I wrote her not to do anything until I saw her. I’d never been farther from my home than Lvov, but all of a sudden, I packed my bag and went to Linsk! I was supposed to stay with Mina for four days in the [poorer] section where she was living because she was scared to be recognized as an educated woman. But on the second night, I heard news that the Russians were coming to Ternopol so I had to pack and run back to my baby.” It turned out later that no one had reported Mina. In fact, the man she thought had recognized her disappeared. Later, the friends met again in Linsk where Luba stayed with her father and brothers. When Germany fell, however, they found themselves in separate zones. Mina was lucky enough to be in the British zone, but fearing exile by Soviet authorities, Luba fled to the Swiss border in a rented car with her son and other family members.

With the help of her brother Jack (who had left Ternopol many years earlier) Mina immigrated to America. Luba and George Saj followed in 1949 after Mina arranged for her brother to provide an affidavit saying he would give Luba a job in his garment district factory.

“Jack organized the whole thing,” Saj-Cholhan recalls. “He had a friend in a Catholic organization that arranged for us to travel. After half a year I sent for my parents and brother.”

After six months, Mina — now married to Morris Berkowitz — helped her childhood friend find another job. But Saj-Cholhan was finding New York City too dangerous and a couple of years later, moved to Passaic where she worked in Botany Mills, then at another factory, and later as a hairdresser and eventually a bookkeeper. She remarried in 1967. Her last employment came as a fluke when she substituted for her son’s office manager and stayed on until he retired. Luba and Mina, who lived in Forest Hills with her husband and daughters, sustained their friendship over the years. Eventually, Mina joined her daughters Barbara and Ann in Israel. For many years, they tried to overcome Luba’s reluctance to be nominated as a Righteous Among the Nations. Finally, she allowed them to send the story to Yad Vashem.

Mina’s mother once asked Luba: “Weren’t you scared that the Germans would find out you were helping Mina, and you would be punished?”

“I reminded her,” Saj-Cholhan said, “‘You once taught me, if you can help anyone, you should do it.’”


More on: Yad Vashem honors Passaic woman for saving ‘an entire world’


The chosen few


In a moving ceremony at the Jewish Federation of Greater Clifton-Passaic on Monday, the consul general of Israel in New York bestowed the Righteous Among the Nations medal on a petite, soft-spoken, 91-year-old great-grandmother from Passaic. Luba Saj-Cholhan, a native of Ukraine who immigrated to the United States in 1949 and was naturalized five years later, thus became one of a handful of American citizens to receive the highest honor awarded to non-Jews by the State of Israel through Yad Vashem.

In 1943, Saj-Cholhan put her life and that of her 4-year-old son George at risk by hiding her longtime Jewish friend Mina Shulster from the Nazis and then forging documents that enabled her to escape their native Ternopol disguised as a Ukrainian peasant.

|| Tell-a-Friend || Print

Stay tuned for the return of comments


Jersey City Boy

Mayor Steven Fulop tells his story — and his immigrant parents schep naches

The story of the new mayor of Jersey City is a goulash — a rich, highly seasoned, aromatic stew, full of disparate ingredients that somehow blend together.

This variant is kosher.

And for added authenticity, it’s Hungarian.

Steven Fulop’s story is both as deeply American and as fully Jewish as one person’s story could be — it is our own 21st-century version of the great American dream.

Cooking alongside it is the story of Jersey City, the state’s second largest, with a century-long history of corruption and bossism that Mr. Fulop is well positioned to turn around.

Mr. Fulop’s story starts with his grandparents. All four were born in Transylvania, the heavily wooded, mountainous, lushly beautiful region that has changed hands between Hungary and Romania. As this story begins, it still was part of Hungary. World War II came late there; his mother’s parents, the Kohns, were taken from the ghetto toward its end. His grandfather, Alexander, went to a transit camp, and his grandmother, Rosa, was on one of the last transports to Auschwitz in April 1944.

Her story is so painful that when her son-in-law, Arthur Fulop, tells it, his eyes fill, even though it is a story he has been telling for decades.


Take my kidney. Please…

Local cantor is living donor for beloved congregant

It’s fairly easy to say “I hope you feel better” to a sick friend.

It’s much harder to put your kidney where your mouth is, but Cantor Eric Wasser of the Fair Lawn Jewish Center did.

On February 19, he donated a kidney to his friend, Harvey Jaffee of Garfield.

Mr. Jaffee was in what his doctors “were starting to call end-stage kidney failure,” he reported. He now has a functioning kidney and will be able to resume his life, and Cantor Wasser will be able to return to his. Both, they say, feel enriched and ennobled (if temporarily weakened) by the experience.

Mr. Jaffee’s kidneys had been failing for some time, and he had trekked from doctor to doctor as he tried to get on the registry for a transplant. The screening process is extraordinarily thorough. “It’s one of the most daunting things in the world,” he said. “They send you to doctor after doctor, to check every orifice you have — and some that you don’t. Sometimes I was seeing four or five doctors a week.


The essence is to wake us all up

Ikar founder Rabbi Sharon Brous and local leaders talk about building a living Jewish community

Rabbi Sharon Brous radiates intensely concentrated passionate hummingbird energy in almost tactile waves.

It is hard to imagine how anyone could have done what she did — created and maintained a Jewish community that has grown wildly, attracted devoted members, brought disaffected Jews back to Judaism, juggled the tensions between tradition, innovation, accessibility, and fidelity — but once you meet her, you can see that if anyone could have undertaken that impossible-sounding feat, it would have to be her.

Ikar, the Los Angeles synagogue that Rabbi Brous imagined and shaped 10 years ago, is now a 580-plus family shul, with a 150-child preschool, a multigenerational membership, and a growing future. Rabbi Brous has garnered so much recognition and so many awards almost off-handedly — on the Forward’s 50 most influential Jews for years! On Newsweek’s Top 50 rabbis list for years, once as number one! Giving the benediction at Barack Obama’s second inauguration! — that it is hard to realize that she is only 41.



The Jewish people’s 911

Local archivist collects a century of JDC photographs

Twenty-six serious men sit around the table.

Two of the men have long beards; half wear mustaches. Scattered between them are two women, one of whom, of course, is the stenographer, known only as Mrs. F. Friedman. The other is the comptroller.

The year is 1918, and the men are leaders of the Jewish community. Most, like the host of the meeting, banker Felix Warburg, and his father-in-law, banker Jacob Schiff, are Reform Jews of German origin. A couple, including those with beards, are Orthodox and from Eastern Europe. Some are rabbis; one is novelist Sholem Asch. The comptroller is Harriet B. Lowenstein.

Meet the founders of the Joint Distribution Committee of American Funds for the Relief of Jewish War Sufferers, the organization now known as the American-Jewish Joint Distribution Committee and variously as JDC or “the Joint” for short.


The case of the family tree

Local rabbi solves genealogical mystery

Move over Sherlock Holmes. There’s some pretty good detective work going on right here in Bergen County.

Putting together clues and puzzle-like pieces of information, Rabbi Benjamin Shull has solved what he jokingly refers to as his “semi-obsession” — the search for more branches on his family tree.

In the process, he has discovered previously unknown relatives, uncovered a direct link to a renowned Lithuanian rabbi and Musar activist, and come into possession of a beautiful, illuminated honest-to-goodness family tree.

Rabbi Shull, the religious leader of Temple Emanuel of the Pascack Valley in Woodcliff Lake, has written a memoir, “Uprooted,” detailing his journey.

His story begins in the early 1990s, at the cemetery in Philadelphia where his father’s family is buried.


The little house in the big woods

Artist’s family remembers growing up in Fort Lee

The three children grew up in the middle of the woods.

There were acres of land all around the house; waterfalls tumbled from the rocky hills and splashed down in their rush toward the mighty color-shifting river far below. There were trees to climb, trails to blaze, rocks to scale. For half of the year, glorious canopies of trees shaded their view; when the leaves fell, the children could see the river, and the ships that steamed silently upriver to unload and then headed back south again, out to sea.

It was a perfect pastoral scene, the backdrop for a bucolic 19th-century childhood.

Then pull the camera back a bit. You’ll see that the river is the Hudson, the time the second half of the 20th century, and the town is Fort Lee.

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30